You’ve spent hours, weeks, even months of your time fine-tuning your Google AdWords account. It was working a treat, and now it’s suspended. What will you do next? If you’re contemplating starting again from scratch, wait a moment. You might be able to overturn the suspension. In this post, you can find out why your account has been shut down and what you can do to get it up and running again pronto.
Common reasons for AdWords account suspensions
Firstly, if you’re unsure why your account has been suspended, here are some common reasons for Google pulling the plug on AdWords accounts:
- Repeated violation of Google AdWords policies
- Serious violation of Google AdWords policies, putting other users at risk
- Non-payment of advertising costs
- Account appears to be closely related to another suspended account
How can I fix my account?
Step 1: The first step to getting your account fixed and your ads back up and running is to find out exactly why your account has been suspended. To do this, you’ll need to sign in to your account and read the suspension notification.
Step 2: If you have read your suspension notification but you’re unsure exactly what it means, or you aren’t sure how it relates to your adverts or account, take a look at the advertising policies in the AdWords Policy Centre. Google’s policies cover four main areas: Prohibited Content, Prohibited Practices, Restricted Content, and Editorial and Technical. Make sure you read each of these sections clearly before attempting to unlock your account.
Step 3: How you proceed will depend upon the type of policy violation you have committed. Below you will find a brief summary of what you need to do to fix some of the most common account violations. For more information, always consult the AdWords Policy Centre.
- Policy violations: If your account has been suspended due to repeated policy violations you will need to fix all of the violations immediately. This could mean altering disapproved ads, or removing them entirely. Once you have fixed the violations, you can then request an appeal to have your account reinstated. However, Google does state that they will only reinstate accounts in compelling circumstances.
- Payments: If you fail to pay your advertising costs, your account will be suspended until you can pay the outstanding balance and contact Google to report payment. Proof of payment may also be required in the form of a scanned copy of your bank statement or screenshot of your online account.
- Suspicious behaviour or unauthorised access: If Google notices any suspicious behaviour in your access log or payment activity, your account will be suspended immediately for your own protection and security. You will need to report the problem directly in order to get your account back up and running.
- Other violations: Google reserves the right to suspend any account deemed to be violating AdWords Terms & Conditions.
I still don’t know why my account has been suspended
Step 4: If you believe that your account may have been suspended in error, or you can’t establish the reason for your suspension, you will need to contact Google directly via the AdWords Help Centre.
Get help from the experts
At Bing Digital, we’re Google Certified Partners. What does that mean? It means that our Pay Per Click account management services are up to date and second to none! If you’re having problems with your AdWords account, or you would like to find out how our search marketing consultants can help you make the most out of your PPC set up and maximise your reach, get in touch today to arrange your free PPC review.
Have a project in mind?
Get in contact with our team to chat about what we can do for your brand today.