Email marketing is a fantastic tool for businesses of all shapes and sizes. Why? In addition to driving sales and conversions, it’s also cost effective, measurable and makes communicating with your target audience a breeze. What’s not to love?
If you want to find out how to leverage the power of email marketing for your small business, this post is the perfect place to start. We’ve compiled eight of our top email marketing dos and don’ts to ensure you avoid the most common pitfalls and get your campaign off to a flying start.
- Target your content: What does your target audience look like and what kind of content appeals to them? It’s important to ensure that the design, copy, length and structure of your marketing emails appeals to the customers on your mailing list. For example, a younger audience may be drawn towards more visual content, like infographics, whilst an older audience may be more engaged by written content.
- Spend time on the subject line: The power of the subject line should never be underestimated. Many expertly crafted email marketing campaigns have flopped because of a rushed subject line. Try to limit the length of your subject line to between 6-10 words and make sure it’s as engaging as possible.
- Get creative: Don’t stop at personalisation, think about the design and structure of your email marketing campaign too. Illustrations, videos and animations are a wonderful way to convey your brand’s personality and engage readers.
- Get to the point: Not everyone who opens your email will read it from start to finish, so try to include your main message in the subject line and first paragraph of your email.
- Cram in too much content: Content overload is a major barrier to success. Think about the message (or messages) you want to get across and don’t veer from your goal. Including too much content will make recipients feel overwhelmed. People may even struggle to find your core marketing message.
- Overlook your conversion goal: It’s all too easy to get carried away designing an all singing, all dancing interactive marketing email and forget your overall conversion goal. Your conversion goal should be central to every decision you make.
- Forget to optimise: Think about how your email marketing campaign will be opened and read and optimise your content accordingly. For example, a huge chunk of website visits are now via mobile, making it more important than ever to ensure your email content is designed to display beautifully across a range of platforms, not just on desktops.
- Get discouraged: Email marketing is an incredibly powerful tool – when it’s in the right hands. If your first email campaign doesn’t get the results you were expecting, don’t get discouraged. It can take time to understand your audience and adjust your strategy accordingly. However, it’s always worth remembering that an experienced email marketing agency will be able to help you fast-track this process.
Get in touch
At Bing Digital, we specialise in creating clever email marketing campaigns that get results. From eye-catching designs and responsive templates to seamless ecommerce shop integration and conversion tracking, we’ll take care of it all. If you want your business’s voice to be heard, get in touch today to find out more.
Have a project in mind?
Get in contact with our team to chat about what we can do for your brand today.